Monday 21 October 2013

This, That and a Milestone

This is my 50th blog post! Whoo-hoo!


I have been wondering what to blog about to mark the occasion.  Oh, I have a lot on my mind, but which of those many thoughts should I choose to share? Decisions, decisions... 

Do I write about how difficult it sometimes is to find something meaningful to blog about or should I tell you about our trip to Dubai last week? Maybe talk about life as an Expat, and explain a bit about the (mostly) unspoken but generally accepted and adhered to rules of being such an Expat? Should I share my ideas around friendship or talk about simple acts of kindness that can add sunshine to a dreary day?

While sipping my Rosehip-Peach tea and writing the above, I decided to rather share with you that The Voice of Reason bought me a new laptop in Dubai. Whilst I am over the moon with the purchase, I am suffering for it.  Let me explain…

Hubby bought me a much-coveted MacBook Air, as my Lenovo was starting to act up due to old age and tired batteries (the battery never lasted more than 30 minutes on a good day, so it was time for a replacement).  I thought I'd only get it in December, but TVoR decided that now was a good time, since electronics are cheaper in Dubai than in Jordan (Now there's an understatement!).  So, purchase was made, wife happy, hubby reeling - shiny new toy, understand?  

Fantastic! 

Came home after the trip, hubby transferred everything from the old pc to Maccie* over here and voila! Time to start working on the new acquisition.  

Great. 

Fan-friggin-tastic! 

Nothing is where I am used to finding it. Nothing is intuitive. I now have to look for things in folders called Launchpad and Finder. I giggle every time, and I mean every time I click on Launchpad. I cringe when I look at the teeny-tiny fonts in every application that has to be changed individually. I have no idea where to find my folders (You would think in Finder, right? Not necessarily).  I can't figure out where or indeed if I have a Photo Manager where I can crop and compress pictures to load on my blog or Facebook.  Ouch!

Having said all that, I am having a jolly fine time trying to figure all of this out.  If Google handed out Frequent Flyer Miles to their users, I would be traveling First Class all the way.  I am sure that I will be able to operate Maccie like a…uhm… Pro one of these days.  What is that saying? From your lips to God's Ears…

* I am not one of those people who name all their appliances. I do, however, name plants and cars.  The idea of typing M-a-c-B-o-o-k A-i-r every time I am referring to the new toy is just too much, hence Maccie.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the shiny new toy. And the half-century.

    I'm with you on the folders. As fed-up as I am with Windows, I love the control I have over my files and folders. Apple and Android don't have that. Hope you figure Maccie out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Herman!
    Must say, I am struggling a bit with Maccie. I am almost at the point where I want to read the manual. Almost :-)

    ReplyDelete