Tuesday 29 October 2013

Getting to know you

Last week went by very quickly, with most of it devoted to trying to figure out the ins and outs of dear old (new) Maccie over here.  


It is a bit of an understatement to say that I knew my Windows-based computer extremely well.  Having taught myself to use the PC many moons ago, I knew all the shortcuts, what could and could not be done and I knew what every button on my PC did.  Not so with the new MacBook.

But we are getting there.  Maccie does not scare me anymore.  I learn new things every day and must admit, the hubby's devotion to my new toy is quite the sight to behold.  He is constantly downloading and bringing home tools for MacBooks and is doing his best to make the very abrupt transition from Windows to Apple easier.  I do suspect, however, that it is partially because he is such a good guy and probably because he is gearing up for a purchase of his own in the not-too-distant future.  Whatever the reason: thanks, Love!

There are many things that still frustrate me about the new toy but, me being a positive kind of gal, I decided to focus on the things I understand and like so far. 

Firstly, I love the shiny, sleek silver casing of my Maccie.  I love the apple that lights up when I open up the screen and the fact that Maccie switches on in almost a heartbeat. That it weighs just a smidgeon more than nothing, that the programmes are super-fast and that there does seem to be some sort of logic to the whole thing, now that I am more familiar with it.  The battery life is also very impressive and the backlit keyboard function makes the night owl in me say “whoo-hoo!”

With the help of TVoR I am now able to find where my pictures are kept and I can even compress them successfully. Massive progress, don't you think?

Writing this, I cannot help but think of the Julie Andrews song "Getting to know you ", from the 1956 movie "The King and I " (one of my all-time favourite movies. Had myself a huge crush on Yul Brunner )


         Getting to know you
         Getting to know all about you
         Getting to like you
         Getting to hope you like me

So, the hour of my discontent has passed and I am embracing all the challenges that come with trying to master a new laptop and a completely unfamiliar operating system.

What else happened last week? Hmmm… 


Oh yes, on Thursday night we had Emily and Andrew over for supper. As always, a very enjoyable evening spent with good friends. I made juicy lamb shanks that the hubby enjoyed, but I am not sure if the Emilies survived it, as we have neither heard from nor seen them since.  Hope they survived my food? 




On Saturday André and I revisited one of our favourite spots, Books@Café on Rainbow Street (I just learnt how to put the accent on the "e"! High-Five! ) where we browsed for books and had a relaxing shisha (hubbly-bubbly - come on, we all have our vices) before heading to Centro's for hamburgers and pizza.  I swear, that place makes the best hamburgers I have yet come across in Jordan.

The rest of the weekend was devoted to watching South African rugby and seasons four and portions of five of "Sons of Anarchy ".  Almost reached the end of season five but taking a break because all that violence started to affect my mood and even crept into my dreams.  I am delicate that way, didn't you know?

And that, as they say, is all for now, folks.  Hoping to visit the new Jordan Museum downtown this Saturday.  If we do, I'll tell you all about it next time.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying the new laptop. Apple definitely has the market cornered in terms of looks. If only they weren't so expensive.

    Death by lamb? I can think of worse ways to go. If I ever find myself in Jordan by accident I'm inviting myself for dinner, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maccie is growing on me, Herman. Much like a fungus, I am afraid! :-)

    If ever you find yourself in Jordan by accident, I will have many, many questions. Where were you trying to go to, to name but one.

    But seriously, if ever you do find yourself in Jordan, you and the missus have an open invite.

    ReplyDelete