Tuesday 10 September 2013

Chop-chop!

Now this is a complete mystery to me.  I am not sure whether this is funny or really tragic. 

Today's topic:  Facebook. More specifically, Facebook friends.
 
I don't have a gazillion "friends" on Facebook.  I have my family, close friends, people I actually know and like.  In addition to them, I am also FB friends with a number of wonderfully likeminded people I "met" on-line when I did a creative writing course last year. I count them all as friends. Sixty-nine friends in total. 

I don't accept friend requests from strangers, I don't even accept friend requests from 99% of people I do know, without giving it a lot of thought.  I share private stuff, pictures, feelings, thoughts  (often completely random) on Facebook and therefore I feel I should only do that with people who know and possibly understand me.
 
So imagine my shock and horror when I noticed today that I suddenly only have 68 friends?  Who de-friended me? Why the sudden chop?
 
I started checking family and close friends. Nope, all there.  Then I checked my creative writing friends, then my Ammanite friends (Grammar Police, bless him, reckons it is Ammanites, I prefer Ammonites, but that's a story for another day).  School mates came next and this was easy, since I am not friends with a lot of people from either primary or high school.  Nope, no idea.
 
All in all I spent about an hour (ok, probably more) trying to figure out who was missing.  Who dumped me so unceremoniously?  This got me thinking...
 
Couldn't he/she at least say "goodbye"?  Sent a message?  Said look, you are dead boring, sayonara.  Or what about hey, I found your post about XYZ offensive, so goodbye forever. Don't call me, I'll call you.  Even listen up, I am only going to say this once, I am closing my FB account, don't try to find me, restraining orders to follow
 
All would have been better than the deafening silence, the bitter rejection! (A tad melodramatic? Imagine the seventeen page letters ex-boyfriends got from me in high school haha!*
 
But I got nothing. Nada. Zip.  Sad thing is, I was clearly so close to this person that I missed him/her immediately. Not. 

How sad that the now unfriended friend was just another number.  Sorry, whoever you are.  Hope your other friends do better by you.**

***
 
*    Ok, ok, that carried on way beyond high school... Uhm...
** And my apologies to all those people I culled so unceremoniously from my friend list in the past.  Next time I'll say goodbye. 

***  Grammar Police and my best friend, Marilou (Actually Marilize - another long story why she's called Marilou) can't stop laughing at me about this... buggers!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment