Sunday 9 June 2013

Nostrum Monumentum*

* Our Memories

Suffered from a severe case of writer's block, or in my case blogger's block recently.  I spent my first week back in South Africa in a daze, the second week I was in Durban and the third week, this week, I was pretty much in denial.  Which leaves this coming week to do a gazillion-and-one things.  Yeah!  Procrastination is alive and well and temporarily living in the le Roux-cottage in Fourways, Johannesburg!
 

Tonight I find myself sitting under the blanket my mom made me, sipping my green pea and ham soup and trying desperately to ward off the freezing cold weather outside and the severe loneliness inside the cottage.  Tried to call the hubby for a chat but had to call it a day after several "Hello my Love, can you hear me? Yes, I can hearbzzzzzzzzzz's".  Frustration.
                                                                                                                                               

Drove around the streets of Pretoria, now called Tshwane, roughly translated meaning "screw the Boere, we're changing all the names".  More accurately, Tshwane is the Setswana name for the Apies River, (apie = small ape) which runs through the city.  Some sources say Tshwane means "black cow", so I am not sure if the people of Pretoria are now referred to as apes or cows, but suffice it to say I think this name change was quite unnecessary and a complete waste of taxpayers' money.  Ok, rant over... 

Feeling melancholic tonight after my sojourn through the streets of... *clenched teeth* Tshwane, the town where I grew up and where the majority of my family still lives.   While I love Johannesburg with it's insane traffic and constant rush to do-more-see-more-earn-more-have-more-be-more; and the completely calm bubble I now live in, in Jordan, I miss the old-time charm of Pretoria, sorry, Tshwane.  Screw that.  Pretoria.  That lovely grand dame of South Africa with her Herbert Baker-buildings, her squiggly Jacaranda lined double-wide streets and the purple Jacaranda dress she wears only in October for her inhabitants' delight.  And the smell...

To me, Pretoria smells unlike anywhere else in the world.  I can't pinpoint it.  It is just different.  Maybe I don't really smell Pretoria. Maybe it's the memories of growing up, of hating high school but loving the friends I made there.   Maybe it's the security that came from not having to move around all the time, the stability. Maybe it's remembering the smells of the Sterland ice rink where we used to go and ice skate whenever the opportunity arose; of drinking copious amounts of blue Slush Puppies; or thoughts of the Wimpy where I fell in love with double cheese burgers and chocolate milkshakes. Or the irresistible aroma of lamb chops and wors (sausage) on the braai at Loftus Versveld before all rugby matches.   

Maybe all of the above...  Hmmm, I suddenly realise where my love for food comes from: food equals love, warmth, comfort, happiness.  Good times.  Let them roll...
 

Under the Jacaranda tree
 



The Union Buildings, Pretoria

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've long maintained that if I ever found myself in a position where I had to live in a city Pretoria would be my first choice. Shame it no longer exists...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of it is still there, Herman. It just takes longer to find, but if you know what you are looking for... yup. Still there. I am deeply saddened about all those old apartment buildings in Sunnyside and Arcadia, though. I think that is gone forever. I used to dream of having an apartment in one of those old buildings with the bay windows and wooden floors. Sadly, it seems mostly druglords and other unsavouries now live there. Wonder if someone sometimes looks at the buildings and appreciate their beauty?

    ReplyDelete