Monday 4 March 2013

Valley of the Moon

Andre and I visited some of our favourite spots in Jordan this past weekend, Wadi Rum and Aqaba.  I fell in love with Wadi Rum on our very first visit in 2005 and that hasn't changed one bit. 

When you look at these pictures it is not difficult to understand why the sandstone and granite landscape is sometimes referred to as the Valley of the Moon.  This UNESCO World Heritage Site had been inhabited since prehistoric times, with today's inhabitants being bedouins in their black and white goat-hair tents.  This remote spot just crawls deeper into my heart with every visit.  See if you can tell why:

 


This is how Andre spent the weekend...

 
 



... While I was left standing in the sun, taking pictures of the jumpers.  Unfortunately for them, I am easily distracted...

 

 
 



Friday night was spent in Aqaba in a... erhm... hotel... I can only describe as Arab chic (or is that kitch?).  At least it was clean and we can forgive the broken fridge and the weird shower because of that!  For supper we visited the Royal Jordanian Yacht Club, where I was absolutely fascinated by the various rich man's toys.
 

Well, we'll be off to Wadi Rum again this coming weekend.  Hopefully I can get some more pictures to share with you, Insha'Allah, as they say in these parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment