Wednesday 11 December 2013

December’s Wintery Breath

It feels just too cold to write anything meaningful this week, but I will try.  My fingertips hurt when I type, my collarbone aches from a nasty break a number of years ago, my kneecaps groan as I flex my legs to try and stay warm. 

According to the weather report, it is a cool 7°C outside, but if you read the fine print, well… it feels like 3°C, with snow predicted for the next three days.  Fun… Not.




Now I know there are colder places out there. It only takes a quick Google search for the coldest place on earth to make me feel truly grateful that TVoR did not apply for a job in Vostok, Antarctica; the Russian research station that holds the dubious honour of being labeled the coldest place on earth. 

Jobs anywhere in Russia, Greenland or Canada would also be frowned upon at this stage, for that matter!  When we got married, I said I’d follow him anywhere.  I have since written in some serious caveats into our contract!

Truth be told, it really does not matter too much how warm or cold it is elsewhere.  Point is, I am not there so I can only comment on what I am experiencing now or have experienced in the past. 

So, at the moment, in Amman, Jordan, I am absolutely freezing.  It is bitterly cold, wet, grey and nasty outside.  The wind is howling through the cracks in the windows. (For some strange reason, the windows do not shut properly, hence the eerie howling that makes it seem that much colder)  My supplies of hot chocolate are running dangerously low, I have finished all the lovely lentil and bacon soup I had prepared earlier and the only ready-to-eat food I have to nibble on right now are some red apples and two sad looking pomegranates – not exactly my idea of deliciously warm comfort food!

But I have a plan:  we have invited Andrew and Emily over for a curry evening tomorrow, so I will have an excuse to cook comfort food to my heart’s content!  Looking forward to a belly-warming lamb Rogan Josh curry with sambals and coconut rice, with a milder (if I can control my urges to add too many spices) chicken Balti for Emily.

I have spent two days looking for poppadoms, to no avail, so we will have to substitute poppadoms and naan with regular old toasted olive bread, but I am sure it won’t make too much of a difference to the meal. 

I consider myself to be quite a decent cook.  Not chef-standard, understand, but a pretty reasonable cook in my own right.  The one dish I cannot make, however, is rice.  Lucky for me, TVoR hates rice, so I mostly get away with this gaping hole in my cooking repertoire.  But what is a good curry without fluffy white rice or fragrant coconut basmati rice, so, attempts will have to be made later today to try and perfect the rice-situation.

Let’s hope the rice fairies take pity on my frozen fingers, aching bones and creaking kneecaps and help produce a perfect rice dish to accompany tomorrow’s curries!

And now you must excuse me, I have to go find another layer to add to the three layers of clothes I am already wearing…






“Winter is nature's way of saying, "Up yours.”

No comments:

Post a Comment